Saturday, July 23, 2016

Ramones Show :: Queens Museum
June 25 2016

A day of presentations including Mickey Leigh, Godlis, Andy Shernoff, Monte Melnick, and Me !! (Fly-O). I was thrilled to be included in this event, all thanks to Marc Miller. I put together a "Hey! Ho! Slide! Show!" of some of my Ramones Artwork (which really only features Joey). All of the presentations were really good and I had a front row for most :: except Monte (sorry!!) because by then I was in the back doing a merch table with Mickey. 
Here is some of my Ramones Art and also some sketches that I did that day.
contact me :: fly@peops.org
http://wall27betasite.virb.com/fly-of-new-york-city


Fly-O Slide Show
Panels from my comic (seen below) plus stencils and flyers and PEOPs Portrait of Arturo Vega :: AND Photos of Dee Dee's paintings taken at Arturo's loft :: right around the corner from CBGB's, where he lived from the early 70s until his death in 2013. 


Me & Joey and Joe
I drew this comic after having a Very Very Intense Dream (on Dec. 22 2002) in which I was dating Joey Ramone and in the dream I was So Happy. When I woke up I didn't realize I had been dreaming and I felt so sad and  missed Joey So Much. When I turned on the radio I heard the news that Joe Strummer had died :: while I was sleeping :: I have been a HUGE Fan of the Clash since Day One and as a teenager had a Massive Crush on Joe Strummer. It was a heartbreaking morning.
This comic was included in the Weird Tales of The Ramones phenomenal box set that included a comic book and full library of Ramones releases. It was a Huge Deal for me to be included :: thanks to Rick Altergott who saw my comic in a zine that I sent to Ariel Bordeaux for hooking me up with this project !   


Mickey Leigh
One of the Original Punk Musicians talking about his book "I Slept With Joey Ramone" which is a fantastic, very personal and illuminating memoir of his life growing up with his brother Jeff Hyman, who later became Joey Ramone :: both of them, in different ways, being part of the birth of this thing called Punk!
http://mickeyleigh.com


Godlis
Fantastic Photographer (one of the few) who captured the early days and beyond of NYC Punk. His book "History Is Made At Night" is a collection of some of his best :: beautiful images of the creation and turmoil of Generation Punk.
http://www.godlis.com/book/ 


Andy Shernoff
One of the founding members of legendary NY punk band The Dictators :: Andy shared some very personal stories about his long friendship with Joey Ramone :: about growing up in Queens, the early days of punk and sadly, his last moments with Joey as he passed away. He wrote and produced a beautiful tribute called Sweet Joey :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTwGTdxUeTA 


Arturo Vega
PEOPs Portrait by Fly-O
I drew this while hanging out with Arturo in his loft around the corner from CBGB"s in 2010. It was the first time I had been to his home and it was amazing to see all of the art that he had. It was like a museum of Ramones. He had such a fantastic collection of Dee Dee's paintings ! Sadly Arturo passed away in June of 2013. He was incredibly sweet and loved by many. Very Much Missed. 


The Feast of Saint Joey
Flyer by Fly-O
The Feast of Saint Joey (2006) was organized by the Hungry March Band, largely Ben Meyers, Joe Tuba, and Sara Valentine. The "punk pilgrimage" involved about a dozen people, including a couple of Swedes and a British father-daughter, but people petered out along the way and only Ben, Joe, and the Brits made it, including walking through a heavy thunderstorm that cracked the late afternoon.

The march from TSP to CBGBs was, believe it or not, permitted by the local precinct, who closed down a lane of traffic on Second Ave for the processional. We told the community affairs cops ahead of time that it was a religious procession (WHICH WAS TRUE!), and no more questions were asked. If I recall correctly, there were probably ~200 people involved.


Jpeg Ramone
I got the idea for this when I noticed that whenever I would type "joey" on my iPhone it would auto-correct it to jpeg :: it was driving me nuts becuz I have a lot of friends called Joey. Then I came up with the idea to create a new band called "The Jpegs" and instead of everyone having the same Last Name, everyone would have the Same First Name :: so it would be Jpeg Ramone, Jpeg Strummer, Jpeg Shithead - - - - and - - - I couldn't think of another very famous Joey or Joe punk musician. 
I made this stencil into prints and t-shirts so if you are interested in acquiring then please contact me :: fly@peops.org
http://wall27betasite.virb.com/fly-of-new-york-city


Unknown Ramone
Because we are all weird and funny looking and misfits and outcasts 
and OCD oddballs !

contact me :: fly@peops.org
http://wall27betasite.virb.com/fly-of-new-york-city



No comments:

Post a Comment